Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gardening

Just wanted to do a quick little post and give a shout-out to my garden. Let me be perfectly clear about my garden, here: I have a toddler... a boy toddler, who requires about 95% of my energy. SO needless to say, my garden is not weeded, the plants are quite overgrown and running into each other, and its not the kind of garden you would see posted in "Better Homes and Gardens." BUT it does give us fresh produce that is virtually free and organic. Here is what we are feasting on this week:


And if you really want to enjoy your garden all year, you may can tomato sauce, pickles, jams and jellies, or so many other things. Canning, btw, is not as hard and complicated as you think. I'll have to post about canning some time soon. Here are some of the things I have canned this summer:


So the next time you think you can't garden, ask yourself this - can I dig up a small portion of my yard? Can I stick a couple plants in a couple of holes in that ground? Can I sit back and watch it grow for the summer? If you answered YES to at least 2 out of 3 questions, chances are you can garden. :-) Remember your garden does NOT have to be picture-perfect to produce healthy, fresh food for your family. So get out there and start planting!

2 comments:

  1. Your garden is awesome and I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. Shout out to Nick for watering it every day, (and a little to dad for bringing his rototiller over). Like the line I heard my grandfather say about gardens, "We eat what we can, and what we can't, we can."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Rototillers and hoses and dads and husbands are VERY important to gardening. (At least to my garden!) :-) And I LOVE the quote about canning, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete