Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Entry: Home made pasta


Like so many stay-at-home moms, I need to be very thrifty in order to keep our family afloat. We don't buy a lot of extras, and as much as I would love to cruise the grocery store and purchase the most exotic cheeses and hams and fresh fish, I just can't. In addition, I can't afford to buy expensive kitchen gadgets like the ones Martha Stewart uses... instead, I garage sale hop!

My most recent acquisition: an electric pasta maker! This was such an exciting find because I have always wanted to make home made, dried pasta as Christmas gifts. (I saw Martha Stewart do this a few years ago on TV, and I thought it was the coolest idea.) The pasta maker is a "Pasta Perfetto 900," probably manufactured in the 90's. Took it home, washed it thoroughly, and plugged it in. With a little rigging of the lid mechanism, my husband got it to work perfectly.

There is really nothing to making home made pasta, especially if you can get your hands on an electric pasta machine. Basically, all I had to do was mix flour, eggs, water, salt and olive oil in the machine, let the pasta extrude, cut it off at the desired length, then dry it completely on the counter for a couple of days. Here are some pictures of the maker in action:


So far I have made elbow macaroni, spinach rigatoni, and tomato rigatoni. The plain egg noodle recipe was very easy to master. I only needed to adjust the dough a couple of times to get it right. The spinach pasta was a little more challenging. Here is something I discovered: If the pasta dough is too wet, it will extrude very slowly or even clog the machine. If the dough is too dry, the pasta will split as it comes out of the holes. It was hard to get the "wetness" correct on the spinach pasta. However, I did get it eventually:


We cooked a sample of the spinach and egg noodles tonight for dinner. They cooked perfectly, much to my surprise and relief. They seemed to soak up a lot more water than store-bought pasta, however. To serve, we sauteed garlic in olive oil, tossed in some fresh chopped basil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. It was delightful.

So YAY for my lawn sale pasta maker! In case you are reading, Martha, you can be thrifty and still make home made dried pasta! ;-)



12 comments:

  1. The pasta looks delicious and the pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS delicious! Way better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you send me a copy of the manual for the pasta maker? Thanks, rlabran@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-ha! I bought the same machine at a yard sale, but it didn't come with the measurement cup? Can you tell me how much liquid the cup holds when filled to the line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i also do not have a cup. i also got my prrefetto at a garage sale. im going to use 2 cups flour and 3/4 cups liquid and eggs. hope to make pasta for gifts also. it really does taste diffrent, better than strore pasta.

      Delete
  5. I just bought one of these at a garage sale and I'm excited to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone have a manual? I got mine at a junk store, and it turns on, stirs, but will not extrude. Any tips? The screw does turn, and I turned the dial to "extrude".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone have a manual? I got mine at a junk store, and it turns on, stirs, but will not extrude. Any tips? The screw does turn, and I turned the dial to "extrude".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got mine today at a thrift store for $7! It seems to have all the parts. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete